Which rimmed baking sheets are the best?
The best rimmed baking sheets are durable, heat evenly, and can withstand heavy use. It’s important to take the time to choose one that matches your cooking and baking style.
rimmed baking sheet material
Each type of rimmed baking sheet material has advantages and disadvantages.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel is the metal of choice for cookware, but baking sheets need a better conductor of heat. However, it is a sturdy option that can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is an inexpensive choice. It is lightweight and rust resistant. Some foil-rimmed baking sheets are fragile and may warp during baking
- Anodized aluminum: Aluminum anodizing uses a chemical process to increase the thickness of the aluminum. This makes the sheet stronger. Be aware that baked goods may brown faster on this material.
- Carbon steel: Carbon steel is a premium choice that conducts heat well and cooks evenly. They cannot be cleaned in the dishwasher.
- Aluminized steel: This material is a compromise between carbon steel and aluminum. it is resistant, with uniform heating. Take care when cleaning to protect the surface of the sheet.
Buy a set of baking sheets or open stock
If you are just starting to equip your kitchen, baking sheet sets are a good solution. Some offer multiples of the same size, while others include a range of sizes for all your cooking needs. The main problem with buying a set is that you may end up only using one or two sizes, with the third and fourth pans completely neglected.
To really tailor your kitchen to your specific needs, choose rimmed baking sheets. This allows you to buy exactly what you want in the sizes you use most.
How many rimmed baking sheets do you need and what size?
How many rimmed baking sheets you need really depends on how much you’re baking and what you’re focusing on. Baking sheets come in four standard sizes (plus other sizes as well).
- Full sheet: These measure 26 inches by 18 inches and are too large for most home ovens. As with other rimmed baking sheets, the rim is approximately 1 inch high. If it fits in your oven, only one will do.
- Half sheet: Half sheets are the most common size for home bakers. They measure 18 inches by 13 inches. Most bakers can get by with two baking sheets this size, but for added flexibility, especially during cookie baking season, a third sheet can help.
- Quarter sheet: Measuring just 13 inches by 9 inches, you can use two or three for a quick half batch of cookies or a small jelly roll.
- Jelly roll: A jelly roll pan measures 15 inches by 10.5 inches. Any rimmed baking sheet can be used to make a jelly roll, but this is a traditional size.
Which rimmed baking sheet is the best?
Artisan Professional Classic Aluminum Griddle
This 13 x 18 inch flanged half sheet is made of commercial grade 18 gauge aluminum that resists rusting and warping. Take note though: The sheet should be hand washed for best results.
Sold by Amazon and Wayfair
Nordic Ware Baker’s Delight Set
This set includes a half sheet, a quarter sheet and a jelly roll pan. These are made from formed aluminum which is not coated for heat conduction. These should be hand washed.
Sold by Amazon
Chicago Metallic Professional Non-Stick Cookie/Jelly Roll Pan Set
Both pans are made of non-stick aluminum steel for long lasting and consistent performance. The non-stick coating is silicone based and food safe. This set comes with a cooling rack that nestles inside the sheets.
Sold by Amazon
Wilton Ever-Glide Non-Stick Cookie Baking Tray Set
This set of four baking sheets covers just about anything you could want to bake. They are heavy steel with a durable, scratch resistant non-stick coating. The handles are etched with the pan size for easy reference. These should be hand washed to preserve their non-stick coating.
Sold by Amazon
Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Nonstick Griddle for Bakeware
This 15-inch rimmed baking sheet is an odd size that still gives you plenty of flexibility for all your baking needs. It is made of aluminized steel with a non-stick interior and exterior. The rolled edge also resists warping.
Sold by Amazon and Macy’s
Chefmade Rim Mold
It is a 13 inch by 9.7 inch carbon steel sheet with a food grade non-stick silicone coating. It is commercial grade, with even heating and cooking. This rimmed baking sheet is also available in eight other sizes.
Sold by Amazon
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out the daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Ella Scott written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.