Step by step guide to making chicken machboos
Chicken Machboos translates to “engaged” in Arabic. Chicken and rice are cooked together with spices over low heat. This dish is also known as Kabsa in the United Arab Emirates and can be made with lamb, chicken, or seafood. The spice blend has bright, flavorful tones of clove and nutmeg. , while the turmeric powder gives the rich yellow color.
Food by Gulf News offers a step-by-step guide to preparing this rice-based dish from Al Bait Alqadeem’s cuisine.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1.5 kg of basmati rice (pre-soak in water for 30 minutes)
2 tablespoons of ginger-garlic paste (equal measures)
Handful of chopped cilantro
1/2 bowl of clarified butter or ghee
3 teaspoons of Arabic spices or baharat (dry roasted black pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg)
3 pieces of loomi (dried lemon)
Handful of fresh cilantro
4 small cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon garam masala (mixture of Indian spices)
Clockwise: Loomi (dried lemon), cinnamon stick, coriander powder, ginger and garlic paste, baharat spice, garam masala, tomato, ghee or clarified butter, turmeric powder, salt , onion, chopped cilantro
Ingredients for making chicken machboos: [Clockwise] potato, basmati rice, chicken thighs
1. Heat a saucepan, add clarified butter or ghee, loomi, cinnamon sticks and black pepper. Let the whole spices mix well with the ghee. Sauté for three to four minutes over medium-high heat.
Add ghee or clarified butter
Add the cinnamon sticks, loomi and black pepper
2. Add the chopped onions and fry them until golden brown.
3. Then add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté until the tangy flavor begins to mellow. Then add the crushed tomatoes and cook for three to four minutes.
Add the ginger-garlic paste
Add the crushed tomatoes
4. Start adding all the spice powders. Add the baharat, garam masala, turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix well.
Add the baharat or the Arabian spice blend
Add the turmeric powder
Add the garam masala
Add the ground coriander
5. Add freshly chopped cilantro and mix well. Then add the chicken pieces. Add lukewarm water to the mixture, cover the pot with a lid and cook.
Add the chicken pieces
Add lukewarm water and let the chicken cook
6. Let the spices soak into the chicken and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.
7. After 30 minutes, add the potatoes, salt and mix well. After three to four minutes, remove the chicken and set aside.
Cover the chicken and let it cook
8. Add salt to taste and stir the mixture well.
9. Remove the chicken pieces to a plate and set them aside.
10. Now add the soaked rice, chopped cilantro and mix well.
11. Stir the rice well and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice becomes dry.
12. When finished, add the cooked chicken to the rice and sprinkle with a few chopped coriander leaves.
Add the chicken back
13. Close the mold with aluminum foil and cover it with a lid. Cook for 20 minutes over low heat. This hermetic cooking method is called idiot and is a common cooking method for making different types of biryani.
Seal the mold with foil
Cover the pan with a lid
Tell us about your favorite dishes or recipes at [email protected]