Milo’s announces plans for homewood beverage facility

0

Milo’s Tea has purchased a property at 126 Barber Court, which is part of the former Barber facility, and plans to renovate the facility in order to produce its assortment of drinks.

The company takes over the part of the factory that previously produced milk, while Mayfield ice cream is still produced at the factory. Milo plans to invest $ 58 million in the facility to make improvements and will begin producing tea and lemonade at the plant.

The move is part of the company’s $ 175 million effort at its three facilities in Alabama and Oklahoma to meet what it said is growing demand for its products. The company announced in November the launch of three new products: Sweet Peach Tea, Extra Sweet Tea, and a Blend of Sweet Tea and Lemonade, all packaged in Milo’s new 59-ounce carafe.

“We are fortunate to have passionate fans who love our all-naturalness,

freshly brewed teas and lemonades and we’re excited to offer new ways for people to enjoy Milo’s, ”said Tricia Wallwork, CEO of Milo’s Tea Co. and granddaughter of founder Milo Carlton. “Just as we have done for the past 75 years, Milo’s will continue to grow, evolve and innovate its products and operations to consistently deliver natural, high-quality beverages that our fans know our fans know. they are synonymous with the Milo’s brand.

Wallwork said Milo’s “may also add corporate offices and an innovation lab, among other amenities,” at a later date.

Milo plans to create 150 jobs at the Homewood plant over the next three years. A representative previously told Homewood City Council the Jobs would have an average annual salary of $ 45,000 and fully funded health care, along with other benefits.

Coming back to Homewood is a special move, Wallwork told The Homewood Star.

“We’re excited to be back to Homewood, where my parents started bottling Milo tea in gallon jugs in the late 1980s,” Wallwork said. “At the time, they rented a small warehouse on Aquarius Drive overlooking the old Barber site, and I remember many summers in high school loading bottles on the line or doing other odd jobs in the factory. It is an honor that, over three decades later, our family business has the opportunity to return to Homewood to create a world class manufacturing facility and incredible jobs for great people with exceptional pay and benefits. .

The Town of Homewood recently approved a Development Tax Incentive Plan. The package is for a period of 10 years and includes the abatement of 100% of the sales and use taxes paid to the city for materials related to the construction, as well as 90% of a portion of the tax dollars. land, the remaining 10% remaining in the city.

The 90-10 split does not affect the current amount of property taxes received by the city on the facility, which is approximately $ 24,500 per year from both personal and real estate property taxes. The city will continue to receive this amount. The spin-off only affects any increase in property taxes over and above this amount as a result of any capital improvements made by Milo’s that increase the property’s property value.

Milo’s must pay the full amount of property taxes and sales taxes owed to schools in the town of Homewood.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.