HONOLULU (KHON2) – Hawaii recently secured its first-ever food capsule to serve communities vulnerable to natural disasters and one major event away from being stranded by emergency services.
The storage unit, located in Waianae, can hold up to 135,000 healthy, stable meals that can be stored for 25 years. Hawaii Foodservice Alliance, LLC (HFA) hopes it will be one of many statewide.
We are Hawaii’s weather station, get the latest forecast and radar information here
Chad Buck, CEO of HFA, said the inspiration for the “pre-recovery pod” came from Hurricane Iselle in 2014, the strongest tropical cyclone to make landfall on the Big Island. HFA sent food and people ahead of the hurricane because they knew it was coming. A few days after the hurricane, while distributing food, they realized something.
“To our surprise, no other food came from nowhere, and that’s when we found out that the City and County, Civil Defense, Hawaii Emergency Management, FEMA n ‘had no food, no supplies, no water for everyone after a natural disaster,” Male said.
He said HFA was the only private industry to donate food just because they were able to.
“So if we ever get hit by a big storm again like we all saw in 2014 in Pahoa, we would be able to get people food and water quickly and efficiently, so it It’s good planning and hopefully for the long term,” said Lieutenant Governor Josh Green.
What is included in this kit?
- 48 bags of cheese lasagna (192 servings total)
- 72 packets of creamy pasta (288 servings total)
- 48 packets of Alfredo pasta (192 servings total)
- 48 sachets of Chili Mac (192 servings total)
- 72 packets of chicken noodle soup (288 servings total)
- 72 packets of Savory Stroganoff (288 servings total)
- 48 packets of hearty tortilla soup (192 servings total)
- 48 pouches of potato pie (192 servings total)
- 24 sachets of Teriyaki and Rice (96 servings in total)
- 48 pouches of baked potato casserole (192 servings total)
- 72 packets of tomato and basil soup (288 servings total)
- 72 packets of Southwestern beans and rice (288 servings total)
- 48 pouches mac and cheese (192 servings total)
- 60 packets of Strawberry Granola Crunch (240 servings)
- 120 packets of brown sugar and maple multigrain cereal (480 servings)
- 60 packets of Crunchy Granola (240 servings)
- 120 packets of apple cinnamon cereal (480 servings)
Find out what’s happening in the country on our National News page
“There’s a sense of urgency for this now because what we’re seeing with climate change is we’re seeing more extreme temperatures, more extreme weather headed our way and across the planet,” Buck said, “and so it makes a ton of sense to be really proactive in that position, to put pods in the communities, so we can help them stay fed while supply chains are restored in their region.