If you are looking for a recipe with minimal ingredients or preparation, this is the recipe for you! This baked ziti can be adjusted to include ground beef or sausage slices, paired with homemade marinara sauce if you have more time on your hands, or used with whole-wheat pasta for a different taste and added nutrients.
1 pound of ziti
2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce (more if you like)
6 ounces grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated parmesan
½ cup fat-free or low-fat Ricotta cheese
· Non-stick cooking spray
1. Spray a casserole or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Bake the ziti according to the instructions on the box.
3. Drain the ziti and toss with enough spaghetti sauce to just coat the pasta.
4. Toss with ¼ cup parmesan cheese and ½ cup ricotta cheese.
5. Place half of the mixture in a saucepan.
6. Top with ½ Mozzarella cheese.
7. Place the rest of ziti on top.
8. Cover lightly with spaghetti sauce.
9. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and mozzarella.
10. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and ingredients are heated through.
11. Let the casserole cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
Sydney Johnson Knowles is a Regional Family and Consumer Science Extension Officer with the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service. She can be reached by calling the Sampson County Center at 910-592-7161.