In the BOSH! cooking, we find simple ratatouille a bit boring so we wanted to do something really exceptional. This Mediterranean flavored dish is as good as it looks.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1h30
- 1 large red onion
- 650g cherry tomatoes
- 12 large or 25 small garlic cloves
- 15g fresh parsley
- Â½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Â½ teaspoon ground fennel
- Â½ teaspoon of Italian herbs
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 300g of basmati rice
- 4-5 medium tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200 Â° C / 180 Â° C hot air / thermostat 6. Peel, halve and slice the onion, halve the cherry tomatoes, peel and slice the garlic and collect the parsley leaves and put them next to. Add the onion, tomatoes, garlic, parsley stems, cinnamon, fennel, Italian herbs, Â½ teaspoon of salt, pepper and olive oil to the roasting pan and mix gently all. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, garnish the eggplant and zucchini and cut them into 3-4 mm slices. Cut the medium tomatoes into slices 5 mm thick. Take the dish out of the oven and increase the temperature to 240C / 220C fan / thermostat 9. Add the stock cube, the tomato puree and 600 ml of boiling water in a pitcher and stir until the broth is dissolved.
- Sprinkle rice evenly over roasting pan. Carefully pour in the broth to cover the rice. Arrange the eggplant, zucchini and tomato slices over the rice in order, working in a spiral from the outside to the middle, until the rice is coated. Season with salt and pepper, cover the dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven and carefully remove the aluminum foil (be careful with the steam). Turn the grill all the way up and place the pan underneath. Grill for 10-15 minutes until the top is golden and slightly crispy. Garnish with the parsley leaves. Divide among serving dishes and serve immediately with a simple green salad.
Recipe from BOSH! on a budget by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby (HarperCollins, Â£ 16.99). Order your copy of The telegraphic bookstore.